Friends that want to hang out

Monday, May 11, 2009

Empathy...You Gotta Have It


Empathy is defined in Webster's as: the action of understanding, being aware of, being sensitive to, and vicariously experiencing the feelings, thoughts, and experience of another of either the past or present without having the feelings, thoughts, and experience fully communicated in an objectively explicit manner.

Why do bad things happen to people.... Why do children die? Why do spouses cheat? Why are people born blind? Why isn't life perfect? Why can't it be? Why do some go through difficult times with their sons....daughters....?

A wise friend of mine is having a difficult time with her teenage son... I don't know what it is and it does not matter if I know.... the fact is my friend is sad and suffering and I can imagine her son is too.... She made a comment to me about a month of ago that I think about often.. Through her tears she said... "I know God wants me to go through this trial...because how can I empathize with others if I have not experienced this kind of sadness myself...."

As I have grown in my faith, I have noticed different areas that I find myself feeling very strong emotions towards.... women who are suffering an unhappy marriage.....been there and I know exactly how it can feel.... the death of a child... been there and I know the pain.... the death of a father...again I know... Having a wild and crazy life before Christ changed my heart....oh yes.. I know the guilt that can be felt and the freedom you can feel once you give it to God... There are so many areas in my life that Christ has healed in me.....and can help me minister to or listen to others with an understanding ear and heart.... Christ wants us to be there for one another..

We need to give glory to God in our suffering and in our happiness. How can we experience true happiness if we have not felt true suffering... We need to serve Him by serving others...God wants us to love one another Agape style.... Use your experiences and reach out to a friend in need.... and just listen with an understanding ear and presence..

5 comments:

Unknown said...

AMEN! We do need to give Glory to God each and everyday and for everything. We all go through tough times but God does it for a reason and on the other side we will have a closer relationship with him and be stronger.

Delia said...

When someone got something right, my grandfather used to say, "You hit the nail on the head!"

That's exactly what this post does........

Thanks for sharing!

From the Heart said...

A great post. We can only have empathy for someone else if we have been through a similar situation. God has brought me through a lot and my prayer is that I can help someone else with similar problems because of what I have learned and by trusting in God to handle every situation.
AliceE.

NikonSniper said...

may God use you in a mighty way for His kingdom with your blog. God bless you as you seek to proclaim the name of Jesus to those who are lost. Philemon v6.
nikonsniper steve

Anonymous said...

Great post, thank you for being so honest-it is so refreshing. I think that is how God want's us to be with each other.
j.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin