Friends that want to hang out

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Lord Grant Me Patience and Grant It Right Now!


When I first got married my mom bought me a tea (I don't drink coffee) mug. On the mug it said, "Lord Grant Me Patience...and Grant It Right Now!" I have been an extremely impatient person my entire life. That is not a trait that I am proud of. A wise lady I know told me once.. "Do not pray to God for patience....because He will give you something to make you learn to be patient...and sometimes that is not a fun thing." I thought that was funny but also very true.

I think that being a mother to two very independent preteen girls has helped me to be patient...in some ways..not all. Age has also lent me more patience than I had at the age of twenty...I think as humans our first tendency is to be impatient when things happen that are not in our favor. When someone cuts me off in traffic or the car in front of me is too busy talking on their cell phone that they have not noticed that the light changed to green. I used to think that I had the right to get upset and give an incredulous face to the bad driver that made me angry...but that does not honor God.

Patience is defined as being steadfast despite opposition or adversity, not being hasty or impetuous, and bearing pains or trials calmly and without complaining... Obviously, patience does not just happen overnight. Our patience occurs when we are steadfast in our walk with the Lord. Patience is in many areas in the Bible. Patience is also a fruit of the Spirit...That kinda tells me that patience is pretty important. Today I like to say I have more patience than I did yesterday...and less than I will have tomorrow.

Psalms 37:7 "Be still in the Lord and wait patiently for him;
Romans 12:12 "rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly in prayer.

I have noticed lately as I get more into God's love letters to me that I have become more loving, patient, kind, and understanding... Not to say I am perfect...Lord knows that's not true...But I have found a peace that I had not had before....

I will leave you today with one more Bible quote that basically says it All...
1 Corinthians 13:4 "Love is always patient; love is always kind; love is never envious or arrogant with pride. Nor is she conceited"

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I tried to comment on your last blog but it didn't "take."
Sory.
I learned long ago not to pray for patience-but God keeps giving me regular reviews on the lessons- I am such a remedial student.
J.

Anonymous said...

BEAUTIFUL CHRISTIAN SISTER
By Maya Angelou

'A woman's heart should be so hidden in Christ
That a man should have to seek Him first to find her.'

When I say... 'I am a Christian' I'm not shouting 'I'm clean living,'
I'm whispering 'I was lost, Now I'm found and forgiven.'

When I say... 'I am a Christian' I don't speak of this with pride.
I'm confessing that I stumble and need Christ to be my guide.

When I say... 'I am a Christian' I'm not trying to be strong.
I'm professing that I'm weak and need His strength to carry on.

When I say.. 'I am a Christian' I'm not bragging of success.
I'm admitting I have failed and need God to clean my mess.

When I say... 'I am a Christian' I'm not claiming to be perfect,
My flaws are far too visible, but God believes I am worth it.

When I say... 'I am a Christian' I still feel the sting of pain...
I have my share of heartaches, so I call upon His name.

When I say... 'I am a Christian' I'm not holier than thou,
I'm just a simple sinner Who received God's good grace, somehow!

Pretty is as Pretty does... But beautiful is just plain beautiful!

TODAY IS BEAUTIFUL CHRISTIAN SISTERS' DAY - TAG, YOU'RE IT!
I'm supposed to send this to BEAUTIFUL WOMEN, and you are one of them!
Don't know if she is the author but I got this in my mail today.

Kelly L said...

Thank you. Back at you!

Judy Dudich said...

Thanks for causing me to look inward and "take note" Kelly!
This coincides with something I wrote on the Thoughts to Ponder page at my Daily Blessings site today about BEAUTY. Stop by!
People used to see all my kids and ask me: "Have you been praying to God for patience? That must be why He sent you so many children" LOL
I got such a kick out of that!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin