Friends that want to hang out

Monday, April 13, 2009

Is He Going To Heaven, Mommy?


We live in Southern California and our family is very much into watching sports..Okay, my husband is into sports and we all join him for the ride...mostly because he is in charge of the downstairs remote control! That's okay...most of the time. We have gone to many baseball games, The Los Angeles Dodgers, The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, and my husband's favorite team The California State University of Long Beach Dirt bags!! Yes, a college baseball team is called The 'Dirt bags'.

Last Thursday, we watched Angel's pitcher Nick Adenhart pitch a great six innings against Oakland leaving with a lead of 4-0 before a late-inning rally resulted in a 6-4 defeat. Later that same evening Nicolas James Adenhart was killed by a drunk driver. He was 22 years old. The police reported that a driver raced through a red light, causing a two car crash which killed three people, including Adenhart. The driver fled the scene but thankfully was later caught and charged with felony hit and run.

While watching the news report on this tragic event, my twelve year old daughter asked me if he was saved and if he was going to Heaven. My tendered hearted child was so concerned for this young man that she had tears in her eyes. "I don't know, Honey", I said..."Only God knows some one's heart." Well, she decided to pray for this baseball player she had never met... I was so proud of my "Little Prayer Warrior" and thankful for the many blessings she has given me and others.

2 comments:

Judy Dudich said...

Kelly,

Your daughter is so sweet. Please tell her that Nick was always a VERY kind, quiet person. It so happens that my eldest daughter went to high school with him...he was a year behind her in grade level. Nick suffered terribly in school. He had awful acne trouble and was very quiet by nature...he was teased and taunted often...so sad. However, what I remember most is that he never retaliated...and always treated everyone with kindness...that should comfort your daughter :)
Judy

Kelly L said...

Judy,
Thank you so much for telling me a little about this young man. I will forward the information to my daughter, Nikki...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin