Friends that want to hang out

Friday, February 25, 2011

Knowing About and Knowing Him

I cannot remember a time when I did not believe in God... I have always believed He existed... I have always believed that Jesus was His Son and that he died on the cross for my sins... I have always known this... I have not doubted it (at least not often)... But knowing about Jesus and knowing Him are not one and the same... Is it?

One thing I am struggling with is helping my kids to find and develop that working and loving relationship with Jesus... I want them to feel His love... I want to feel His love.. It is difficult to do at times... Especially when you are not into His Word... When you are not actively talking to Him... Having a relationship with Christ is much like any other relationship that is worth keeping.. It takes time... work... love... quiet.. communication... learning.. faith.. listening..consistency...

I have learned that going to Church when the doors are open.. Attending every Church event... Belonging to Bible studies - Having my kids go to a Christian school and Christian camp doesn't make me/us a follower of Christ ... Yes, corporate worship is good BUT we have to have that relationship with Christ... We have to live in His word and not just when the church doors are open.. It has to be a 24/7 kind of thing.... It has to be who we are... Not necessarily what we do.....

When I am in His word.. When I am living with Him in me... When I talk with Him... I feel peace... I feel love.. I feel joy... regardless of what my worldly circumstances are... When I am with Him - He comforts me... I need to stay in His Word... and my kids (and others) will see that reflection of His love from me and they just might want some of that......

God's word is alive and working and is sharper than a double-edged sword. It cuts all the way into us, where the soul and spirit are joined, to the center of our joints and bones. And it judges the thoughts and feelings in our hearts. Hebrews 4:12

The Bible is an invitation to connect with God in a personal way - and to learn more about yourself in the process.. *excerpt from 100 favorite Bible verses

1 comment:

Deborah Ann said...

I'm with you. It's not what we do that makes us His followers, it's who we are. We are human beings, not human doings. Although we can know someone by their fruit, which is another subject.

Great post!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin