Friends that want to hang out

Friday, February 19, 2010

Crazy Love Week 1


This Sunday is the start of our Spring session in women ministry. As a ministry team leader - I was asked to read the book Crazy Love: Overwhelmed by a Relentless God by Francis Chan.. I tried to read it last Spring and I found myself really depressed... The book basically put a mirror up to my face and showed me that I don't love enough... hard enough..

I had made the comment that new Christians might have a very hard time with this book.. It might scare them away... Chan is telling us that we need to give our ALL to God... not just a little and not just on Sundays but all of ourselves... The words are easy to say.... to some... But the concept of this book is so hard for me...

Yes, I love God... Yes, I worship Him.... Yes, I have no doubt that I will be with Him for eternity.... So why do I have to surrender my total self to God's purpose, now? I read my Bible and I pray so that I can know Him better.... Have a better relationship with Him... and this book is telling me it is not enough..... How dare he? Who does this Francis Chan think he is?

So I am going to attempt to read this book - a chapter or two a week - give myself time to think about... study it.... pray about it.. and see what God tells me...

Colossians 1:16 "For by Him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible, and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created by Him and for Him."

Have you read this book? If so, what do you think?

2 comments:

Fitter After 50 said...

Kelly, there is no doubt in my mind that you love the Lord. HOWEVER (You know I'd have one didn't you?) I remind you of who it is that works within you and all it takes is prayer to grow closer to Him, not a work of your flesh. :) We are to guard our heart with all diligence and I believe that means to guard it against the lies about God the enemy gives us. It's not about works, it's about trust.

Unknown said...

I have read this book and the second book that Francis Chan wrote and I love them. They are challenging and hard to read but so worth it. My love for God grew and changed and I truly started living for God once I was done. This book was a real eye opener for me. I plan on re-reading it soon.

I recently started a book and I am stopping after only a few chapters because I don't believe it is something God wants me to spend my time on. It just doesn't seem appropriate. Maybe I will re read Crazy Love instead.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin